Rachael's Spicy Garlicky
Salami Stuffed Roast Chicken
- 4 Tablespoons Arbequina olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 5 Tilligerry Farm Organic garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Espellete Powder
- ½ tsp Smoked Sweet La Chinata Paprika
- 50g Nduja Hot Spreadable Salami (substitute Fresh Mild Chorizo or Sobrasada for a milder non spicy option)
- 130g Bomba or Arborio Rice
- 60g unsalted Pepe Saya butter (softened)
- 1 lemon, zested
- 250ml Aneto Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tilligerry Organic Farm Free Range Chicken (approx. 1.5kg)
- Heat Oven to 200C/180C Fan Forced
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion until soft and starting to brown, about 7 mins.
- Stir in 3 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tsp of the cumin, Espellete powder, sweet smoked paprika, ½ tsp black pepper and the nduja (adjust amount depending on how hot you like it), breaking it up as you mix it in. Cook for a further 5 mins until the meat has released its oils.
- Add the rice & stir until fully coated in the oil, then pour in 250ml vegetable stock. Cook the rice, uncovered, until almost cooked but retaining some bite, then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Add the 2 garlic cloves, lemon zest, ½ teaspoon cumin and a small pinch of salt to the softened butter and mix until well combined.
- Wash & pat dry chicken.
- Loosen the skin of the chicken breast using your hands, carefully, so as not to tear the skin. Work from the widest part of the bird and get close to the neck but not all the way through, and try to loosen the skin above the legs as well.
- Fill a small piping bag with the flavoured butter OR with a gloved hand gently push the garlic butter under the skin and press to distribute evenly.
- Next stuff the chicken cavity with the cooled rice mixture and tie the legs together to stop the stuffing from spilling out.
- Generously massage the chicken skin with the remaining oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Pop the chicken onto a rack in a roasting tray and roast in the oven for between 1 hr-1 hr 15 mins until cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Remove from the oven and rest in a warm place for 10 mins before carving.
- Serve with a selection of green vegetables including Kale, Broccoli or Spinach and Crispy Hot Roast Potato’s or an excellent crunchy leafy salad with sliced apple, toasted pine nuts & shaved Manchego, Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Toscano.