Carbonara- Celebrate good ingredients..
All ingredients at Pork Ewe, just grab a bottle of Pinot Grigio and settle in for the night!
A simple recipe that highlights a few delicious ingredients
Eggs, local farmer Terry hand delivers his organic, free range eggs every week. Fresh and from very happy hens.
Guiancale, cured pork jowl with a peppered edge, this very fatty cut renders into a very tasty sauce for the pasta.
Parmigiano Reggiano, aged for 36 months, it is sharp, acidic and creamy, perfection for this dish.
4 hearty portions
500g spaghetti or pasta of choice
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 large egg yolks (free range and fresh as possible)
300g guanciale, cut into square chucks about a centimetre.
180g grated Parmigiano Reggiano- you could use Pecorino Toscano or even Truffle Pecorino, get a little extra for garnish and cooking snacks
Pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water boil adding a little salt cooking the pasta to al dente. Reserve some cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, mix the cheese and yolks together in a bowl.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in large fry pan. Add the Guanciale and cook, until browned.
4. Add oil to the pan, add the Guanciale and cook until the fat starts render and it gets crispy.
5. Add the drained pasta and toss well over the heat
6. Remove the pan from the heat, add the reserved water and egg mix, keep tossing the pasta off the heat, it will slowly cook the eggs instead of scrambling them.
7. Serve with a bit of extra cheese on top and some cracked pepper- DELICIOUS.